The 279 female students had been kidnapped from Jangebe boarding school in northeastern Nigeria.
Nigerian authorities said the 279 female students kidnapped last week have been released. They had been kidnapped from Jangebe boarding school in northeastern Nigeria. It seems to have been released today at dawn: two days ago the news of the release, then denied yesterday and now finally the definitive confirmation.
After the meeting at the local government office in Gusau, the girls were escorted out by the authorities and taken away in a van. They are aged 10 and up. At the time of the attack on Friday, a resident told that a military camp and a checkpoint near the school had also been attacked to prevent soldiers from intervening against the mass kidnapping at the institute. Since then, the police and the army have carried out joint operations to rescue the female students, whose kidnapping has raised international attention.
© Copyright LaPresse