“We encourage everyone to look out for one another, take personal responsibility and proactively take actions to limit the spread of COVID-19,” said a Las Vegas official.

Ignoring recommendations from public health officials and the nation’s top Coronavirus adviser, Dr. Anthony Fauci, New York, Las Vegas and other cities around the U.S. will stick with plans to hold mass gatherings to ring in the New Year.

“We want to show that we’re moving forward, and we want to show the world that New York City is fighting our way through this,” de Blasio, whose last day in office is Friday, said on NBC’s “Today” show. “We’ve got to send a message to the world. New York City is open,” he said.

In Las Vegas, more than 300,000 visitors are expected in town for events including a New Year’s Eve fireworks show on the Las Vegas Strip that was canceled last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Thousands of ticketholders also are expected at a multi-stage outdoor music event beneath a canopy light show at a downtown casino pedestrian mall called the Fremont Street Experience.

“If you’re sick, stay at home. If you’re indoors, wear a mask,” said Michael Naft, a Clark County commissioner who stood with Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman and police, fire and communications center officials to outline restrictions including bans on glass and metal containers, coolers, strollers, backpacks, purses and luggage.

(With assistance from the Associated Press)

© Copyright LaPresse